Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dearest Friend: A Life of Abigail Adams

My husband has changed my life.  Before I met him, there is no way I would have picked up this book, let alone requested it from the library the way I did.  He has an unsatiable appetite for political and historical biographies.  He talked me into getting the HBO miniseries of John Adams on netflix a few years ago.  I was surprised to find it very interesting.  Since then, reading a biography on Abigail Adams has been on my list.

I finally picked one up and I wasn't disappointed.  Abigail Adams is a remarkable woman.  She raised their four children, managed their farm and finances and was John's closest advisor during their long separations.  At one point, they did not see each other for five years and the five years before that they had only had intermittent and short visits.  John was not there when she gave birth to a stillborn daughter.  She would go months (even up to ten!) without receiving even one letter from him.  Not only did she do all of this with strength and grace, they were truly in love which made the separations much more difficult. 

This book highlighed each phase of her life, giving insights into her character and providing details on the chronicles of their lives.  I was fascinated throughout but found a few parts were a little bit dry and difficult to get through.  If you are interested in learning more about her, this is a great book to read.  If you aren't, I don't think this book will change your mind. 

Bottom line:  Enjoyable and interesting for the person wanting to know a little bit about the only woman ever to be both wife and mother to an American President

4 comments: