Monday, October 4, 2010

Am I a Hipster?

Here it is. My first post on this blog. I spent the weekend thinking about my varied reading interests, the little "kicks" I get on and what possibly I could blog about. I have gone through so many phases. One month loving biographies, to the next obsession of re-reading college textbooks, to where I am right now... which is, plain and simple, hard to describe.

I'm in an actual, real-life bookclub. We are going on almost 2 years now. I've gotten to read some great books and not so great books. It just comes with the territory of putting a group of ladies together with different backgrounds and interests. I may review some of those books on here, but I'm finding my true interest and love is in articles.

Right now, I'd say I break up my reading to about 30% novels to 70% articles of various topics (blogs, politics, religion, social justice, pop culture, fashion, and self-help). I'm just a sucker for a well-written article! And having a baby to take care of really changes my reading schedule. My time is broken down into much smaller increments, thus making article reading that much more attractive.

So my first review for the blog HAD to be about an article that I found super interesting. I have heard a lot lately about "hipsters" - on television, internet, and especially in pop culture. I needed the Urban Dictionary definition because for awhile, I wasn't quite wrapping my brain around the term.

It says "Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter"
Full definition here

When I saw that the September issue of Christianity Today had a cover article titled "Hipster Faith" I had to check it out.

I'm so glad I did. It was one of the best written pieces about my generation of Believers to date (at least that I've come across). On top of that, the article explained so much about the struggle I have with the "mega church" mentality. FYI - if you have no idea what I am talking about, do a quick google search and you'll be informed of mega churches in no time.

The article had a great historical overview that I really enjoyed. And when I read "in order to be a hipster, one must be a rebel" I fully understood why I feel so much connection to hipster Christianity. I like to fly against the norm. I always have. I like to shake things up. That's why this article really struck me. I can't say I agree with every single thing in this article (ie. progressive politics and publicity stunts for shock value) but overall, it was great.

The next logical question was and is - does this make me a hipster? I think maybe so (gasp!). I found myself agreeing with so much of what the hipster movement stands for. Tell me what you think. Are you a hipster? And if so, how do you add faith into the mix?

4 comments:

  1. What a great article! I wish I could sit down with you over coffee and talk about it for an hour or two! I could definitely relate to a lot of it (WWJD bracelets, Lord's Gym Tshirts) and it raised a lot of the irony and questions I have always thought about in terms of staying relevant to the culture v. being indistinguishable from it. Definitely going to keep my eyes open for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very interesting article. Knowing nothing about contemporary Christian culture, it is hard for me to add anything intelligent to this conversation. But, what I do know about "hipsters" in general is that they think they are more clever than they are. Getting a little too cute. So, while I think that you may be a "hipster" in the meaning of this article by bringing your faith to a place where it is more accessible like discussing it over a microbrew...I'd like to not think of you as a hipster. Because that would make me sad. You're too genuine for that bull shit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Babs! You crack me up. Ok, I will just be a semi-hipster :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A semi-hipster...that sounds acceptable. I do think that Barb brings up a good point...what the Christian hipsters are trying to get away from they are actually perpetuating.

    ReplyDelete