Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Enlightenment for Idiots

This is a perfect example of getting something different out of a book the next time you read it.  Books change with where we are at in life and I find that fascinating.

I first read this book right before I had made the decision to go to "yoga school".  And, I didn't like it very much.  I just couldn't relate.  Found many of the ideas foreign.  And, just plain didn't understand the main character.

Fast forward three (four?) years to the second read.  Post "yoga school" and in a place where I can relate to Amanda.

Amanda is a yoga teacher in training in the yoga snob mecca of San Francisco.  To support her yoga teaching habit she writes in the popular series of For Idiots books.  RVing for Idiots.  Wine Country for Idiots.  (I can totally relate to the job to support the teaching habit!).  Her editor sends her to India to search for enlightenment and put it in guide book form.

Amanda describes the dirtiness and grittiness of India in detail.  Which coincides nicely with the mess of her life.  She visits all the "trendiest" gurus, yoga centers, and meditation retreats.  She meets a lovely and funny sadhu, Devi Das, whose humor and kindness help her along her journey.  And, then she discovers she is pregnant and her journey takes on a whole new meaning.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...sounds kinda interesting. I completely agree about books having different meanings the next time you pick them up. But my reading stack is so big right now, I can't imagine spending time to read a book I've read already. :) I look forward to retirement...haha, knowing my husband, that's when we'll decide to travel the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read many books twice. Maybe a Donald Miller book or two.

    ReplyDelete