Sunday, March 6, 2011

666 Park Avenue

I've been sick this week.  Which means lots of laying around.  Which means needing a book to read.  Nothing heavy.  Beach read.  Chick lit.  Brain candy.

This book didn't take long to read and was exactly what I needed:  a little escape.  And while it served its function as a little get away, I can't really say it was a good read.  It was just something to read.

Jane's parents died when she was 10 months old.  She is then raised by her very overprotective grandmother in the French countryside.  She runs away from said grandmother to start her life in Paris.  She has just met a wealthy and handsome man and that is where the story begins.  He proposes to her after a month of dating.  She finally goes back to her grandmother's to introduce her fiance and her grandmother is dead, leaving her a note telling her that she is a witch.  Suddenly all the weird electrical debacles that seem to follow Jane around make sense.

She goes to New York with her fiance who happens to be New York royalty.  And, happens to be from a witch family.  She soon discovers the whole thing has been orchestrated by his mother, Lynne, to produce magical progeny.  Jane finds herself having to learn quickly how to use her magic to save herself and her fiance.

Poorly paced.  Not very good writing.  Fantastically bad plot.  Oh, and it sets itself up for a sequel.

However, exactly what I needed in my cold medicine fog.

2 comments:

  1. On that recommendation, I think I'll skip this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if I was really desperate, I would read this book. I am always searching for something to read at my parents house... I end up finding cowboy books or theology books. Not much else. In that situation, I would definitely read this :)

    ReplyDelete