Monday, March 21, 2011

Perennials For Every Purpose

Yesterday was the first day of spring.  Today it is snowing.  Sigh.

In my spring fever, I found this used book at Hastings for $6.50.   In addition to our raised veggie beds, we are planning three flower beds.  I love tulips, but am too late for this year.  I'd like to do a couple of peonies because they are stunning and I have the perfect south facing spot for them.  But, other than that, I am clueless when it comes to plants and flowers.

I think this is a great resource for the clueless type.  It has big and colorful pictures.  And, it assumes that your are a beginner gardener.  The author shows you his favorites and breaks them up into categories like No Work perennials (plant and go!) to minimal work perennials to perennials to attract birds and butterflies.

What I found especially helpful was that each entry has a Good Neighbors section that lists other plants that would look nice and work well with that plant.  And, the beginning has some sample garden plans with a nice illustration and how many of each plant and where to plant it.  Hard to mess that up!

When planting annuals I am totally haphazard and anything goes.  But, I understand the need to plan when investing in long-term landscaping.  Of course, knowing me, it will end up jungle looking!

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I'm not investing in gardening this year, since we're in a rental but I've enjoyed being surprised by the plants that have popped up as a result of someone else's gardening. And whenever we get somewhere, I'd like to do perenials because I hate buying a bunch of flowers that aren't going to come back. This makes it look possible for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on taking lots of photos of all our yard projects with my fancy new camera! So excited. But, for now, it is snowing...

    ReplyDelete