Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Three Weissmanns of Westport

I liked Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.  I had never seen the movie, so I watched it a few weeks ago and loved it.  So, when I picked up this book and the cover said, "playful and devoted homage to Sense and Sensibility", I snatched it up.

It is the wealthy Jewish New Yorker version of Sense and Sensibility.  Betty's husband decides to divorce her after decades of marriage.  And, for a younger woman.  The younger woman wants the fancy apartment, so Betty heads to a cottage owned by her cousin Lou.

Her two middle-aged daughters join her.  One has two grown boys and is divorced.  The other had a literary agency that was thriving until it hit the news that all of the memoirs she published were fake (she went on Oprah to defend her authors).

They live together in the tiny cottage for a year.  Going to dinners at Cousin Lou's, learning what it is like to live on a budget, buying tons of things from TV infomercials, dealing with love and loss.

Overall, a very fun read.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like I have another to add to my stack. I'm going to have to get a notebook to keep my list in...these little post its are getting too numerous and easy to lose track of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I totally agree with you! My cart on Amazon is constantly full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, any books that I have you are welcome to borrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh I want this one! Putting it on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete